Sunday, April 17, 2011

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

This is the story of Lucy, a practical seventeen year old who refuses to believe all the strange things happening in her life are signs that she is part of a line of women who are the victims of an ancient curse. For generations, the Scarborough women--Lucy, her mother, her grandmother, and so on--have all had the same fate. They become pregnant at age seventeen then go insane--abandoning their newborn daughters to whoever will take them in and the cycle repeats. The key to freeing herself from this curse is in a song passed down from mother to daughter since the time of the curse--a peculiar alternative set of lyrics to the song "Scarborough Fair" that spells out three strange and seemingly impossible tasks. When Lucy becomes pregnant and starts to see her life heading in the same direction as her mother's she finally starts to believe that this could really be happening to her. But can she solve the riddle of the song before it's too late? Can she save her unborn daughter, and maybe even herself?

I thought that this book was pretty good, but not great. I listened to the audio book and I have to admit that I was not a huge fan of the reader's voice. I think that this reader was a poor match for Lucy and my consciousness of this was jarring and prevented me from enjoying the book as much as I could have. I liked the premise, but I felt that the plot was a little weak and the characters didn't pull me in. The tasks that Lucy has to solve are barely riddles and seem relatively meaningless besides from their strange old-timey-ness. Plowing a field with a goat's horn? I thought it was going to turn out to be some sort of symbol or riddle, but Lucy literally makes a plow with a goat's horn purchased on ebay and plows a field. It seemed kind of odd and not really something that held my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment