Friday, May 27, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

It is the future. America has become a much different place. Government surveillance is widespread, cities are fenced in, and love have been outlawed. Yes love. It is now considered a disease--amor deliria nervosa--characterized by a quickened pulse, distraction, and irrational obsessions. At age 18, everyone is given "the cure" which wipes love of any kind out of the brain forever. Lena's mom died from love, and the stigma of this has followed her for her whole life. All that Lena wants to do is turn 18, get the cure, and live a normal life. But then she meets Alex. And she starts to question whether everything she's been told her whole life is true. Is life better without love?

I've read a lot of reviews that called this book derivative or considered it a letdown after Oliver's smash debut Before I Fall. I really, really loved this book. It's true that there are inconsistencies, as in any book, and that the premise not particularly unique or even that interesting. It's pretty cheesy to be honest. I found the slightly different premise of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies to be much more interesting in and of itself. However, I thought that the quality of the language, the suspense and the characterization overcame these issues to make a book that can be forgiven, because it was such a pleasure to read. I listened the audiobook mainly because I enjoyed Sarah Drew's reading in Before I Fall so much. She blew me away with that book, and she blew me away with this one. I was literally sitting in front of my computer unable to stop listening after my ipod died for most of the book. The audio equivalent of "I couldn't put it down." So I think this is a book that you love or you don't. And I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment